Addresses: 423 Highmount Road, West Cosackie, NY –
689 Myrtle Avenue, Brooklyn, NY 11205 –
Tammistontie 16 A 20, 01520 Vantaa
[Dual citizenship: Finland and the United States]
● Doctor of Social Science: the University of Helsinki, Department of Communication and the Swedish School of Social Science, Research Institute.
● Master of Science in Business Administration: Helsinki School of Economics, Major: Communication and the Finnish language. (1990-1995).
● Bachelor of Business Administration, Schiller International University, Germany. (1987-1990).
● Docent at the University of Helsinki since May 2017.
● Expert, Digital Rights, and Advocacy, Central European University, Center for Media, Data, and Society since 2017.
● Fellow in International Communication, Fellow at the Institute for International Communication, St. John’s University, New York. (Since 2017). Assistant Professor of Mass Communication (2011-2018).
● Instructor. The University of Helsinki (Since 2009-).
● Participation in current grant-funded projects (-2023): The Nordic Observatory for Digital Media and Information Disorder (NORDIS), Emotions at Stake: Authority of the Media and Trust of the Audience and Communication Rights in the Era of Digital Disruption.
○ Previously, three research for the projects of the Academy of Finland (2000-2007): Recession and the Media, Commodification of Facts, and Circuits of Power.
○ Individual grants from the Finnish Cultural Foundation; Helsingin Sanomat Foundation; Foundation of the Finnish Broadcasting Company.
Program development, community management, multi-stakeholder collaboration, policy advocacy, innovation in creative industries, ICTs and pedagogy, gender and the media. (Ongoing.)
Clients: The Council of Europe, the European Broadcasting Union (EBU), the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Finland, Finnish University Partnership for International Development, Yle (the Finnish Broadcasting Company), United Nations Development Program, The Global e-Schools and Communities Initiative (GESCI).
Selected previous employment relationships
● Researcher for the Ministry of Transport and Communications of Finland. The main researcher of annual studies on Finnish television programming and diversity; other consultancy assignments. (2001-2007, consultant in 2008-2010).
● Researcher and Implementation Expert, Yle (Finnish Broadcasting Company). Content and audience research; planning and implementing of training and research projects, e.g., the European Commission funded “Screening Gender” project of Northern European broadcasters; Advisory Board Member of the European Union DGV research project “Images of Women and Men in the Media”. (1995-2000).
● Associate Expert. United Nations Focal Point for Women, New York (1997-98).
Scientific and academic positions
● Member of the Nordic Council of Ministers’ Think Tank on the impact of tech giants in the Nordic public sphere (2022-).
● Program Officer, Social Science Research Council, New York. Necessary Knowledge for a Democratic Public Sphere Program, New York.(2008- 2009; co-editor of the book based on the program 2009-2010.)
● Senior Media Policy Research Fellow. New America Foundation. Washington, D.C. (2012 –2013).
● Visiting Fellow, Aalto University, Helsinki. Research Group on Digital Learning Environments. (2014-2015).
● Affiliate Research Fellow, Fordham University, McGannon Research Center, New York. (2006-2013).
● Guest lectures on public service media at the Annenberg School of Communication, University of Pennsylvania; “Annenberg-Oxford” Global Media Policy Summer School, Oxford, the U.K. (2009); Jamia Milia Islamia University, New Delhi (2009-2021); Northwestern University – Qatar (2021).
● Co-editor of the special issue of Media Studies Journal on the Future of Public Service Media (2015) and the Journal of Information Policy (2020).
● Junior Scholar of the European Science Foundation (2004-2006).
● Advisory Committee Member for the RIPE conferences (2012-).
● Vice President of the International Association of Public Media Researchers.
● Board member of Avoin yhteiskunta/Faktabaari, a Finnish transparency NGO/fact-checker.
● Executive Director (summer 2018), an Advisory Board Member, and involved in programmatic development of the Kota Alliance, a global, NYC-based incubator for civil society organizations and social businesses promoting gender equality.
● Member of IAAI-GloCha, a non-profit promoting systemic innovation regarding resource mobilization of global civil society for effective global governance in support of the work of the United Nations System; special focus on technology and youth employment.
Available upon request.
Viestinnällisten oikeuksien tutkija. Kansainvälisen viestinnän opettaja. Viestintäpolitiikan, media-aktivismin ja vertailevan tutkimuksen asiantuntija. Kansainvälisten projektien koordinoija. Vapaaehtoistyötä tasa-arvon, kestävä kehityksen sekä akateemisen yhteiskuntavastuun puitteissa.